More Renaissance Short Stories

Raisa's Diary
Art by Lavinia Fontana
Story by Lila


September 12th, 1200

Dear Diary,

Today Father went hunting with Fredrick again. His leather saddle had to be cleaned and polished by my handmaid Cecilia, so I had no one to talk to. The castle seemed so dreary today, and the stone walls felt like they were closing in on me. 

The Gardens beckoned me and the shimmering, dew filled grass was aching for someone to run on it. All I really wanted to do was go hunting with father, but no one can know that. It is considered improper for a noblewoman to dirty herself by riding horseback in the overgrown woods. 

The only person that knows of my yearning for the hunt is Fredrick ... On the morning before my birthday, he woke me abruptly and took me out into the forest. He had carved a little wooden bow for me, and he helped me practice shooting at trees, until the sun rose and we had to rush back into the castle. I am so clumsy, and archery is one of the few things that I feel I can do right. 

... While Fredrick and father hunt, I am getting a dress fitted for our dinner party tomorrow. The nobleman of Aramoor and his family are coming, along with the nobles from the far east. I heard they have a daughter, and I hope we become friends. 

My dress is red satin, with gold embroiderment on the bodice. The arms drape down and they are loose fitting. Even though it is uncomfortable, I think it is gorgeous ...

September 13th, 1200

Dear Diary, 

The visitors came today! 

The nobleman’s daughter is named Anastasia, and she is a darling. She gave me a puppy! I have named him Charles, and he has white and brown fur and an adorable face. 

Mother had the Tanners make him a collar, and it fits him nicely. I requested that Anastasia sleep in my room, and mother and Anastasia accepted my offer. We are already having such fun! I gave her a tour of the gardens, and I showed her my secret spots. 

Behind a few trees is a little gate, and the gate leads to a beautiful garden. Nobody knows about it but me and the gardener. We played tag in the fields until mother caught us and gave us a lecture about the proper activities for noblewomen. 

I wouldn’t completely consider myself a woman yet, seeing that I am only 15 years old, but mother still insists on it. The great feast consisted of Boar, Peacock, Fish, and many other delicacies. For dessert each person was given a small cake with honey drizzled over it. I enjoyed every last bite. 

I fed my trencher to Charles, and I think he quite enjoyed it, especially because some of the honey dripped onto it. We stayed up late talking, so I must get to bed. 

Goodbye for now,

Raisa of France

---------

Artistic Interlude


I hope you will enjoy this gorgeous sketch by Kelly. Her realistic, graceful depiction of human anatomy definitely reminds me of Renaissance art!!

---------


And Venus Was Awoken
Art by Botticelli
Story by Lellie

One Marvelous afternoon in a peaceful village far away, it was springtime. The grass was a beautiful green, and the flowers were freshly bloomed. Everyone in the village was working their jobs. Children laughed and dashed speedily through the streets, women chasing after them. Women cooked scrumptious foods that the men had hunted earlier. 

Now, this small, remote village is right next to the ocean. Everyone works quietly and efficiently. Everyone in the village fetches water from the ocean, children swim in the ocean, and men fish. 

But one day, there was a stirring in the sea. The water seemed to shake and quiver, ever so slightly. But there was no wind; Anemoi was nowhere to be seen. 

Miniature waves started to form, and the water splashed up against the banks. Then a soft voice was heard. Singing. Extraordinary singing. The beautiful song echoed throughout the village. 

The women and men looked up from their jobs, the children stopped playing, and the animals' ears perked up. The waves grew and grew until the lake began to flood. 

But still, Anemoi was nowhere to be seen. 

Suddenly, all the wind and waves stopped. The floodwater disappeared and everything was back to normal. The sea was so still and calm; like a sparkling polished mirror. 

But then, below the clear surface of the water, Venus was awoken. Venus was created from the turquoise sea foam.

She rose, gleaming, out of the water.

Anemoi came flying in, a nymph on his back. 

Anemoi dried Venus’ skin and hair. Venus’ red hair blew in the wind. Her delicate feet stood on a sparkling clamshell. The shell carried Venus to the banks of the lake, and in came Diana. 

Diana was wrapped in vines and flowers, her silk dress was covered in flowers and plants. Diana carried a pink, gleaming floral robe for Venus; the rope was decorated with small stitchings of flowers. 

Diana wrapped the pink robe around Venus’ naked body. 

She was Venus. The goddess of love and beauty. When the villagers examined her fine elegance, they named the brightest planet after her. Venus. The planet and the goddess, born from the sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellent Examples of Informative Writing

Initial Questions About Religion

More Impressions from Washington