St. George and the Dragon; The Adoration of the Magi


As we anticipate next week's field trip to Washington, we are continuing to analyze Renaissance art. Here's some stellar student analysis of Raphael's St. George and the Dragon:

Edward: St. George's body is very detailed. You can even see the muscles through the chainmail.

Peyton: Raphael didn’t just show the foreground, he also showed the background -- like the woods and the church.

Isabella: I like how the horse’s head is looking at you/the audience. I think that Raphael spent more time on the horse’s face than the humans' faces!

Harrison: I really like the graceful movement -- it is so alive. I also like the faint halo around St. George, as opposed to the medieval "circle" halos.





The students learned about the symbolism of the large peacock The Adoration of the Magi, by Angelico and Lippi. During the Middle Ages and Renaissance, peacocks represented eternal life.

Here are some additional great insights:


Sophie: There are so many people waiting in line to see baby Jesus, and to bless him!

Jack L.: Each person and each animal has a unique, different face. Why did the artists include so many animals?

Sean: I like how the painters added the golden shimmer above the three wise men. There are so many vivid colors, like the vibrant orange robe.

Max M.: Who are the mysterious boys (dressed in white) in the middle ground of this painting?

Lila: There is lots of graceful movement, and I like the flowing robes and tunics.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellent Examples of Informative Writing

Initial Questions About Religion

More Impressions from Washington