Impressions from Our Trip to Washington
In person, the Cathedral was vast. Even though you can see it is a very large building from pictures, the pictures only focus on one angle, whereas when you are there all the angles are looking down on you at once. Then you realize its true size.
Spicer: When we pulled up, I was expecting a big cathedral, but nothing close to how massive this was. It was crazy! The great echoing sound was so mysterious, and it made me feel close to god.
Jake: The cathedral was WAY more impressive than I thought it was going to be ... I don’t think that a lot of churches or cathedrals are specifically beautiful, but the cathedral was so beautiful.
When you see pictures of stained glass, you think that they aren’t too beautiful. But when you see them in person, and when the sun is shining on them, they are just so vibrant and colorful.
Spicer: When we pulled up, I was expecting a big cathedral, but nothing close to how massive this was. It was crazy! The great echoing sound was so mysterious, and it made me feel close to god.
Jake: The cathedral was WAY more impressive than I thought it was going to be ... I don’t think that a lot of churches or cathedrals are specifically beautiful, but the cathedral was so beautiful.
When you see pictures of stained glass, you think that they aren’t too beautiful. But when you see them in person, and when the sun is shining on them, they are just so vibrant and colorful.
Peyton: In the Cathedral, you feel an extra presence -- maybe it’s God, or maybe it's the realization that you are standing somewhere that some of the most famous people in American history have stood, or where their final resting place is.
Laney: I loved the fact that I was able to be in an all inclusive (religion wise) cathedral. It had something to do with the fact that everyone is welcome and it feels like a safe space.I think it should feel like that everywhere.
And seeing where Helen Keller’s ashes are kept was such a treat. She is such an inspiration to me.
But what makes it truly beautiful is that it can never be redone. That same carving will never be carved again. Because someone cared enough to make this work of art for us.
Mia: The National Gallery of Art surprised me. Beforehand I thought that it was going to be boring, but once I walked in the door my view completely changed.
The paintings were so remarkably gorgeous. Even the littlest details about the museum itself surprised me, such as the pillars when you enter. They took my breath away.
Sonia: I thought that some of the hand carved stone pieces were absolutely stunning. Think about how much you’d have to care to do that much work on something so intricate and small. So insignificant and yet so blissfully huge.
To that person, that’s their life’s work you’re looking at. And to us, just another thing a machine can do for us.
But what makes it truly beautiful is that it can never be redone. That same carving will never be carved again. Because someone cared enough to make this work of art for us.Mia: The National Gallery of Art surprised me. Beforehand I thought that it was going to be boring, but once I walked in the door my view completely changed.
The paintings were so remarkably gorgeous. Even the littlest details about the museum itself surprised me, such as the pillars when you enter. They took my breath away.
Izzy: The paintings at the museum really inspired me to want to paint and draw a lot more.
Lyra: I really liked the rooms with a lot of color.I also really liked when the paintings told a story, and when there were cute, realistic, and interesting animals and background. The background was my favorite part in some paintings.
If I were to go again, I would go to the fountains, because I love looking at them. They were interesting and relaxing.
More Impressions Coming Tomorrow!




Comments
Post a Comment