The Crusades: Pope Urban's Speech
Today we read and analyzed Pope Urban II's famous speech at Clermont, during which the Pope asked Christians to embark on a journey to Jerusalem to reclaim it from the Turks.
I asked whether the students agreed with Pope Urban that their journey should be considered a pilgrimage.
In response to my question, Scout, Nicholas, Cole, Lillian and Jackson engaged in a fantastic impromptu debate.
Listening to the five of them, I honestly felt like I had walked into a college seminar!
Some members of this precocious group of future historians referred to the dictionary's definition of the word "pilgrimage" and insisted that Christians traveling to Jerusalem were, indeed, making a journey with a religious purpose. After all, what could be more faithful and proper than visiting the locations of some of your religion's most important events?
I asked whether the students agreed with Pope Urban that their journey should be considered a pilgrimage.
In response to my question, Scout, Nicholas, Cole, Lillian and Jackson engaged in a fantastic impromptu debate.Listening to the five of them, I honestly felt like I had walked into a college seminar!
Some members of this precocious group of future historians referred to the dictionary's definition of the word "pilgrimage" and insisted that Christians traveling to Jerusalem were, indeed, making a journey with a religious purpose. After all, what could be more faithful and proper than visiting the locations of some of your religion's most important events?
Others in the group, however, made a strong argument that the concept of a pilgrimage implies a peaceful journey.
These students believed that the medieval Franks -- when they envisioned fighting the Turks in order to regain control of the Holy Land -- were betraying their religious principles (including the Christian messages of peace and goodwill towards all). From this perspective, the students argued, the Crusaders might have been righteous warriors, but they were not true pilgrims.
These students believed that the medieval Franks -- when they envisioned fighting the Turks in order to regain control of the Holy Land -- were betraying their religious principles (including the Christian messages of peace and goodwill towards all). From this perspective, the students argued, the Crusaders might have been righteous warriors, but they were not true pilgrims.
This group's discussion about Pope Urban's speech demonstrated the kind of deep thinking (and respectful dialogue!) about history that I hope to encourage in all of the students.
Fantastic work, Team ScouNiCole-LilliJack!


Comments
Post a Comment