Musical Mondays: Getting Lost in the Sound of Goldengrove

Keith Kenniff
Today we listened to a piece recommended by Lillian: Goldengrove, by Keith Kenniff.

This music was different than most of what we've heard this year, and many of the students loved it. Here's a sampling of responses:

Taylor: Even though it doesn't have words, I could tell why this song is called Goldengrove. It made me think of fireflies and spirits -- it is magical.

Jack L. [supplemented by Scout]: While I listened, I imagined a tree -- or a child -- growing up, experiencing life, and then slowly dying. The song represents life, with all its changes, all its good, all its bad.

Nicholas F.: Most of what we've listened to for Musical Mondays contains words. I like music without words. I find it powerful -- even more powerful than music with words, because the words are a kind of limitation.

Maggie: I loved it. It is soothing, it unlocks something -- and the 'something' can be different for each person.

Fletcher: That was beyond awesome [said as he looks skyward].

We are about to experience one of my favorite moments of the year in Charlottesville ... the blossoming of the dogwoods.
Are you ready?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellent Examples of Informative Writing

Initial Questions About Religion

More Impressions from Washington