History Video #9: Breaking News

Before we get to the video, check out the awesome artwork and thoughtful reflections by your classmates...



Do you think the Buddha ever argued with his parents?

Griffin: Yes, I think the Buddha argued with his parents, because they were Hindus and he started a different religion, Buddhism, which included different beliefs.

On the other hand, maybe he didn't actually argue with them. Maybe the Buddha believed arguing is wrong and you should find a different way. Also, Hinduism and Buddhism actually have a lot in common with each other.

Do you think the Buddha believed people should try to reach nirvana by themselves or with others?

Lucy: I think the Buddha believed people should try to reach nirvana together. In a lot of the reading we've been doing, it talks about kindness in some way. If people are helping each other with what everyone wants -- nirvana -- then people would be being kind to each other. Also, the Buddha might have thought that people could help each other get through the suffering that the Buddha wanted to control, but couldn't always control.

Elle: I think the Buddha wanted people to reach nirvana together. When you are in a group you tend to strive and put forth your best effort. When you make a mistake the other people are there to support you. Also, if you try to reach nirvana in a group and succeed, then more spirits get to go to nirvana, which is a good thing.

Chaolin: I think Buddha believed people should try to reach nirvana by themselves. If they tried to reach nirvana with other people, then they would depend too much on those other people.

Lellie: I think the Buddha would have wanted humans to try to reach nirvana by themselves. I think this because working with someone else on any kind of project, for a very long time, often causes attachment.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellent Examples of Informative Writing

Initial Questions About Religion

More Impressions from Washington