A Chinese Flamethrower, A Sphinx, and a Fantastic Plan


The Chinese Flamethrower
Constructed and Described by William

The flamethrower was one of ancient China’s best military inventions. They got the idea from the ancient Greeks, who had made one in earlier times. The flamethrower was a box that held a chemical similar to gasoline. On top of the box was a tube with a pump inside it. At the end of the tube was a spark that ignited the fuel when it was shot through it. The flamethrower was able to shoot out flames when they pushed the handle forwards as well as when they pulled it backwards.

When the Chinese were attacking in close quarters they could spray a wall of fire up to 60 feet and no one could penetrate it. When it was first used in warfare their enemies thought it was some sort of magical spell or mysterious god. 

The Sphinx of Giza
Sculpted and Described by Lila

The sphinx was carved out of limestone. It was built to guard Pharaoh Khafre's tomb. It has a lion's body and the head of a king.

Many historians believe that it was built around the same time as the pyramids. They also believe that the head was a portrait of Khafre himself.

It is 240 feet long and 66 feet high! It will always be considered one of Egypt's greatest monuments.


The Plan
Written by Max M.

Cling, clang, cling, clang… It's one of the only things I hear anymore. The sound of bronze on stone. I also hear the sound of leather ripping apart when someone’s sandals are too old.

Today we will put Tutankhamun’s riches inside his tomb, covering his golden face. I, Mar-Dar-Har the VIII, have the most boring job on both sides of the Nile in the year 1324 B.C.E. 

I love spending my time building this worthless tomb, though, because I am fulfilling the plan

Work is done for the day. If you are not here by sunrise, you will be killed.

Yes sir!

This is every night's goodbye conversation. While I hold a very respected job, it turns out that I get paid one piece of gold a month. One piece every month, that is one way to go broke. That is why I have the plan. To keep me going.

My job requires burying lots of fancy items in order to make the ka happy. We have to give the ka lots of things, so it can go into the afterlife with everything it had in the mortal world. We give it food, water, gold, and other resources to help it have a happy life. 

Tutankhamun has an extra amount of riches in his tomb though, so that means a lot more work. We are going to put jewelry, robes, a burial mask, ivory statues, and other things so his ka can be happy. I don’t even know how someone who reigned for only a little over 100 cycles could be so rich.

... It has been one month since the tomb has been finished. Now, it's my time to finish the plan and to help my family. I will wait till midnight when the guards aren’t around, then I will sneak into the entrance of the tomb, take the gold and silver, and slip out without anyone noticing. There is just one problem. The ka of Tutankhamun might come out to get me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excellent Examples of Informative Writing

Initial Questions About Religion

More Impressions from Washington